"We Handle All Angles
So You Just Angle!"
Call Us: 816.718.6617
Facebook
Wyoming

While there are many great trout streams and rivers within the Cowboy State like the Green, Wind and Platte rivers, Eyes on the Fly primarily focuses on one general area....Wyoming's Northwest territory.  What most don't realize is Yellowstone National Park, the countries first National Park, resides mostly in Wyoming, not Montana, with 97% of the park being within Wyoming borders.  The other 3% is mostly in Montana with less than 1% in Idaho yet most of the glory still goes to Montana.  

 

The most magnificent mountain range in the lower 48 is without question, in our eyes, Wyomings own Grand Teton National Park.  With jagged peaks and The Snake River winding through the Jackson Hole Valley, its easy to see why Ansel Adams and so many other photographers made the Teton Mountain Range their subject.  If you have never been to this rugged landscape or had the privilege of driving through this heavily visited area, you are in for a treat once you do.  Only a 20 minute drive from the south gate of Yellowstone N.P., Grand Teton N.P. paints the perfect setting for a day on the river as you truly feel you are playing in gods most significant landscape creation.  

 

Grand Teton National Park ~ Jackson Hole, WY

 

THE SNAKE RIVER  (TROUT RIVER)

Image 3

The Snake River is without question one of americas finest and most breath taking rivers around. Stretching some 1078 miles from its origin near the Continental Divide in Yellowstone N.P. to the confluence of the mighty Columbia River that drains into the Pacific, the Snake River fulfills many a trout fisherman's fantasy of seclusion, ruggedness and beauty all in one.  If that weren't enough, fishing the Snake River is so good you have to take a break from catching fish just to take in the beautiful scenery.  Sometimes its the other way around for our guests and we understand if its your first time visiting.  

 

The Snake River starts in one of the most remote areas of Yellowstone N.P. and offers plenty of wade fishing opportunities along its banks within Yellowstone Park boundaries including many good back country hike in options. Once inside Grand Tetons N.P., to the South, boating is allowed and it becomes a very popular river among white water rafters, drift boaters and kayaks throughout most of the warmer months, from run off to late Summer. Fishing is phenomenal mostly anywhere on this river assuming the run off isn't too high and its a perfect place to try for a grand slam of Brook, Brown, Rainbow and Cutthroat Trout all in one day.  

 

Eyes on the Fly can offer multiple options for fishing this tributary and considers this river part of our network of home waters.  So be prepared to have a good time on your visit as we can share all of the best places to go from restaurants to hot springs to secret fishing spots and the special flies used to catch loads of fish.     

 

 

 

GROS VENTRE RIVER (TROUT RIVER)

 Image 7

The Gros Ventre River also makes the list because of its wading capabilities.  Always a good bet to catch some fish if the Snake is running a bit too high and its close to where most of our Wyoming trips lodge for the evenings.  The Gros Ventre River is 74.6 miles long and is a tributary of the Snake River where it meets in the Jackson Hole valley.  Known for its Snake River Fine-spotted Cutthroat Trout, The Gros Ventre is full of 12-16 inch fish with some fish reaching the 20 inch range.  With the Teton Mountain Range in the background, make sure to bring your camera as the scenery is some of the best you could ever see!  

 

 

JACKSON LAKE (COLD WATER TROUT LAKE)

Image 8

If your party wishes to take in more of a lake fishing scene there are few out there that can rival Jackson Lake.   More pictures are taken along side this lake then any other spot in Grand Teton N.P.  The lake is 15 miles long, 7 miles wide and has depths that reach 438 ft.  It is also one of the countries highest altitude lakes resting at 6772 ft above sea level.  Known for having Brown Trout, Big Lake Trout, Mountain Whitefish and Snake River Fine-spotted Cutthroat Trout, this lake is always a good lake to spend the day whether in kayaks or boats.   There are over 15 islands on the lake and many spots for us to relax our arms to take in the scenery.  

 

 

JENNY LAKE (COLD WATER TROUT LAKE)

Image 1

Jenny Lake is 1191 acres and has a depth of 423 ft.  The lake was formed over 12,000 years ago by glaciers and is one of only two lakes in Grand Teton N.P. that allows motor boats on with the other being Jackson Lake.  Both lakes offer guided tours on and many of the trailheads for some of the Tetons hiking trails are located on the other side of these lakes closer to the base of the range.  Fishing is good on these lakes but both Jackson and Jenny Lake require a more patient casting day where sight fishing is more prevalent than seam and current fishing.